Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Eight Minute Sonnet

I once had a dream to write *Nobel prose,
(Or poems that would win me one of *those),
I stayed up all day, I stayed up all night,
Not to enjoy myself, but to write right.

One day I just happened to come across
Another poet, (whose fortunes, a toss
Between zero balance and bankruptcy),
And for 39 cents, he mentored me.

I gave him my pome, I gave him my pence! -
(Yes, I gave all of my 39 cents!)
I waited a week, (or was it two?) -
Then saw my pome writ in Sh-t Creek Review!

It cost me my fortune in bribe, it's true,
But who would'na paid it. Hey, would'na you?


- Lon Cheney, Miracle Poet

NB: A strict "No Refunds" policy applies to all bribes received by the Shit Creek Anti-corruption Monitor. No correspondence will be entered into on this matter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spicy, and so condimental! A true MUSTARDPIECE!

Gives one hope of seeing REAL POETRY revived!

M+M+M=M3

<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

6:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, dear Sh*t Creek editor, Paul Stevens:

I think it should have been noted that what your Miracle Poet Lon Cheney wrote was not a true *sonnet* atoll, but a "Lonnet* ... or at worst, a Heliogabalus.

It would be a shame to have your readers think that a poet of Lon Cheney's stature (I think he's at least 5 feet tall) would not be familiar with correct poetic forms, and that his title "The Eight Minute SONNET" was a slip ... a misnomer, as it were.

Will he be appearing in your roster of accomplished poets one day soon, or does that require another bribe?

Yours,
The M3

<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

6:59 am  
Blogger Bird said...

Slip indeed, that's a Freudian petticoat if ever I saw one...

<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

6:58 am  
Blogger Caratacus said...

My (younger) wife chides me for still saying "slip" when I mean "petticoat" - apparently it's a bit vintage to call them "slips". Tell that to Doktor Freud!

<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

8:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home